Sunday, July 13, 2014

How Many Things Can I Learn in a Year?

We've been married for a little over a year now and so many people keep asking, "How was the first year?" or "What did you think of the first year?" Thus far my response has been, "Some days I can't believe it's already been a year and others I can't believe it's only been a year!"

And that's the truth! Our first year of marriage has flown by. We've laughed and cried, smiled and fought, agreed and compromised. 


And through this first year of marriage I've learned things. Some lessons I expected to learn. And others were a surprise. 

I learned that I still really struggle with doing dishes...they're one of those extreme hatreds in my life. 

I learned that after living on my own for 5 years does not prepare me for my first night alone after only 5 months of marriage. Minimal sleep was had that night. 

I learned that it's not very hard to convince me to watch "just one more" episode of our current tv series. (Parks and Rec right now...in case you were wondering)

I learned that I'm way more selfish than I thought I was. *surprise, I know...*

I learned that the things that make my husband happy, can be sacrifices for me. (Biking many miles? Really??) *Okay...it hasn't been that awful...*

I learned that there are certain types of time spent together that I need.  Watching tv is being together. But I desire quality time. Talking, (board) gaming, reading, dreaming, are the things that I desire. 

I learned that I love to cook for my husband...but it's hard to agree on meals that we both want. 


I learned that I really just want to make my husband happy. 

And in the end, that's my goal. 

At a wedding yesterday, Pastor Seth recounted something a family member had passed on. He said that if we remember that love is patient and kind, that's what matters. That's what matters because after that, the rest of 1 Cor. 13 takes care of itself. 

Patient. I'm still working on that. And it's hard. 

Kind. Also a struggle sometimes. Sometimes the sharp words come faster than the kind words. 

Those are two of my marriage goals for this next year of marriage. Show patient love and show kind love. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the corsages! What outfit are you wearing? I'm thinking I really like that top but I don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...