Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mid Week Book Talks | 01

I think I'm going to start a new series. It won't be a weekly thing, but when it happens it's always going to be on a Wednesday. How's that for a refreshing idea? L to the O to the L.

Many of you probably already know this, but I teach English to rambunctious high schoolers. And what many of you probably don't know, is that this year is different for me because my class and curriculum heavily focus on literacy. While I know that technological literacy is important, it's not included in the literacy in my classroom.

We focus on reading books.
We focus on reading quotes.
We focus on reading.

 This year has been HUGE for reading growth for all of us, myself included. (more on that another time)

Instead of giving you the saga of a background, I'll be giving you a book talk similar to the book talks we have in class. The only difference? You have to read it instead of listening to it. Sorry, I'm not up for doing a vlog series...yet.



I'm not a big fan of graphic novels, but this one stuck out to me.  It was the summary in conjunction with the cover that drew me in.
Image result for stitches david small
photo from Goodreads
Buy the book here
David is a young boy of a dad who is a radiologist who gives him "treatments" for his asthma issues and an angry mother. At age eleven it's discovered that he has a growth on his neck and he needs surgery to remove it. Following the second (surprise) surgery, David discovers that he is unable to talk; half of his vocal cords were removed in the surgery. 

David was a quiet boy before the surgery and afterward, he's silent.

The book leads up to the surgeries and illustrate the struggles he had with family and how he dealt with his anger afterward.

It's a darkly told version of a sad story. If you're looking for something out of your comfort zone and a quick read, this is a great one to try. Give yourself 2 hours and if nothing else, you'll have another book notch in your belt.

Let me know if you read it and what you think of it! I even give it 4 out of 5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...