Wednesday, September 23, 2020

I hate our "new normal"

 Why not jump back to this old blog with something pandemic related? I don't know if it will be a permanent return or just a short stint, but it is what it is.

Also, I hate the word hate. It's a strong word, but it doesn't typically convey just how strong our feelings truly are. Alas, hate is the best word to use when I think about how our lives have changed as of late.

Here's the thing...

I teach high schoolers. I love my job. And while I love what I do, I hate our "new normal".
I hate that my students have to sit six feet apart.
I hate that we can't do group activities the same way we used to.
I hate that we have to wear masks when I'm sitting next to a student working one-on-one.

BUT

I am glad to be back with my students.
I am happy to see their foreheads and smiling eyes.
I am grateful to teach in a small school where we are able to remain face-to-face, while social distancing.
I am proud of my students for showing up and working hard to reach graduation.

And isn't that all we really want? Don't we all want to be successful and work toward our dreams? I want to be remembered as someone who cared for her people--family and students alike. I want to work toward my dreams and enjoy my journey along the way. I want my people to know that I truly want the best for them--but boy oh boy, this "new normal" is killing my vibe.

This is my attempt to journal my way through this pandemic and although we are already six months in, there must be some sort of value to be found in it. If not, then it's just for my sanity. And that's okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...