Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015 .:. Dear Mom

Dear Mom,

Your day is here. Well, one of them anyway. Today is the day we celebrate all moms and today I especially want to celebrate you.

Throughout the years, we've experienced different types of relationships. I remember getting off of the bus after school and being so excited that I didn't have to go to daycare anymore. You were home and you were consistent.


As I grew into a teenager, I realized how mean you were. I couldn't go online whenever I wanted. When I tried, you grounded me. I couldn't have a MySpace account and then you made me delete my Facebook account. You made me clean my room! *UGH*

But then, at the same time, I'd be invited out with friends (to activities I didn't want to go to) and you had my back. Playing the game of, "Mom, can I go?" while shaking my head. Always followed by you saying, "Sorry, we've got plans that night." You saved me from many nights of small talk and activities that I desperately tried to avoid.

After my first year of college, I moved home for the summer. Lo and behold! I had a curfew. I couldn't believe it! WHY WOULD I HAVE A CURFEW? As an "adult", I was appalled.

Did you have any idea that the summer between my freshman and sophomore years would be my last summer at home? I didn't.

I'm not sure what happened, but after that summer we became closer. I remember coming home almost every weekend that first fall semester I was at UND. Part of that was because I didn't have any friends at school yet. But the other part of it is that I wanted to spend time with my family.

And even since then, our relationship has continued to grow. Yes, I do know you're my mother. I am reminded of that every time I leave your house to come back to mine. Especially when you remind me to "text when [I] get home safe!" But you're not just my mom, anymore. You've become a friend.




But here's the thing. You've shown me so many things throughout the years.

You've shown me how to cook. It may have started out with scrambled eggs and Kraft Mac'n'Cheese, but it's evolved into one of my favorite hobbies.

You showed me how to love other people. I watched you love your kids. When you disciplined us growing up, I just thought it was you being mean. Now I see that it was you training us to become the successful, independent adults we've become.


You've shown me how to love a spouse. I've watched you love Dad. Through jobs, many Craigslist purchases, & some tough times--you've shown me how to be a loving, supportive wife. I pray that I can learn to be as good of a wife to my husband, that you've been to yours.

Most importantly, you've shown me how to be a Godly woman. You lead by example and I admire you for that.

Mom, thank you for being the woman and mother you are and have been. I look up to you every day and I pray that God would bless me with your qualities, your consistency, and your love. And one day, I pray that I can practice everything you've modeled for me, to my children.

I love you, Mom.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...